Tuesday, September 20, 2016

New Program Season!- Be a Junior Firefighter/ Dance Party/Fall Favorites

Our new children's programming season is underway at my library!

I bought a house in May and then went directly into Summer Reading Program. So my blog posts have been nonexistent for the last little (okay long) while. Anyhoo. We started off the programming season two weeks ago with Be a Junior Firefighter.



I only had one story for that storytime. The majority of it was taken up by our local firefighters giving a talk on fire safety, and allowing the toddlers and preschoolers to interact with a real fire truck! We read Fire Truck is Flashing by Mandy Archer. It gives a great run down on what happens for the firefighters when they go out on a call. It also has a diagram of the parts of a firetruck in the back.

This is our yearly opener to our programming season, and I always explain to the kids that, if the firetruck is out on a call, they may be delayed. That actually happened this year. I had planned a few ukulele songs to stall for time, but after the first 15 minutes, it got bad. I felt like the act opening for The Who, if Roger Daltry was a no-show. 

Thankfully, the firetruck did show up. The firefighters were awesome. The Who rocked the arena.



Last week we had our first Dance Party of the season. I stuck to more smooth melodies and play songs. I've been getting over a convention bug, and high cardio was not on the menu. Here was the playlist I cooked up. It's more Jim Gill than we've had in a while, but he gave us a concert recently. So it was a good tie-in


This week was Fall Favorites. It's all about the changing of the seasons, which due to climate change, has not happened in our neck of the woods yet, mores the pity. Still, it's a good primer for when the leaves do begin to fall. We read an old favorite; There was an Old Lady who Swallowed some Leaves by Lucille Colandro.

If you have not read this series, I highly recommend it! You can sing or just recite the words, and there is one for pretty much every holiday, including the first day of school (There was an Old Lady who Swallowed some Books). Very cute!

My new book pick for the day was Hocus Pocus, It's Fall! by Anne Sibley O'Brian. It has fantastic artwork, and flippable pages spurned on by magic words. It's very dramatic.

We also revisited the feltboard story I made late year out of Marty Kelley's Fall Is Not Easy. It's about a tree trying on different "outfits" of leaves to get ready for fall. When the leaves turn into a cheeseburger, I literally have kids ROFL; knees to chest, legs kicking in the air, the whole bit!

It's hilarious for them and for me! :)

We finished with fall leaf crowns. Basically, it is a band of paper with dollar store silk maple leaves attached. Simple, but fun to decorate. All in all, a satisfactory start to the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment