Sunday, October 21, 2012

Dumb days at the library

My last post was about how to get thrown out of the library. Today is one of those days as a library professional where I wonder mildly, embarassingly if I should be thrown out of the library.

We are fortunate to have a wonderful security team at my library. They spend, what I am sure are "thrilling" moments policing library infractions and making sure that everyone's rights and safety are upheld. Today I spotted a patron whom I distinctly remembered one of the security staff pointing out the week prior, as a banned patron. I went to the head of the security team to report the individual was in the building.

Now, here is where I promptly opened mouth and inserted foot, by completely forgetting the name of the security guard. Adding insult to injury, I referred to her as a "security person." I have been working at my library every weekend for almost a year now and I should know better. I apologized profusely to the head of security, who just laughed and told me I worry too much.

Then, of course the man I had seen did not turn out to be the banned patron at all. So I got to apologize again for wasting everyone's time. But I will tell you one thing, I won't be forgetting that security guard's name any time soon.

I had a brief period of confidence guiding a patron through his and my first inter-library loan request. He was quite appreciative that he would not have to pay inordinate amounts of money for a text book he simply wanted to check out.

But then, I completely mucked up our phone reference system on the main level, trying to make way for our telephone reference librarian to give me a break. Talk about walking away feeling like a toddler needing to put myself in time-out. Bad librarian...go to your corner!

I know everybody has those days where we feel like our heads are just not in the game. But how can my patrons expect quality service from me when I'm running around like a zombie with it's brain scooped out?!

No comments:

Post a Comment