Saturday, September 12, 2015

Presenting at Conference or................................. "I'm going on an Adventiaaaa!"

So I have been a bit of a zealot about promoting Preschool Dance Parties, as you all might have noticed. Last month I presented at my local youth services library conference. The theme of the conference was "Choose Your own Adventure." My particular talk was titled "To Dance will be a Great Adventure: Music and Motion in Preschool Programs."

I won't bore you guys again with the details of setting up a Dance Party program. You can read my previous Dance Party post if you like, or check out Angie Manfredi's excellent blog article. Also here is the link to my public Prezi for the breakout presentation.

Overall, the Prezi was the most involved portion of the process. It is a completely different way of looking at presentation software. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend creating a free account and just playing around with it. I used Prezi instead of MS Powerpoint for the memorable transitions. I was lucky that a webinar on the software popped up in my library's training calendar. It gave me some great tips....and I had to start over twice!

But that is neither here nor there. When it came to the actual presentation day, I was highly stressed, but in that good way. I was able to justify wearing yoga pants professionally because we were dancing. So that helped. Yay slacking without slacking!

I gave the Prezi presentation for the first 20 minutes, and we had about 20 librarians scattered throughout the seats. It seemed to go over well. There was a smattering of questions and I didn't hear any snoring, so I'll chalk it up as a win.

When it came to do the actual dancing, I had the attendees help with stacking chairs and moving them to the side, while I moved the projector and set up the sound equipment. I use an external speaker and iPod dock in the branch Dance Parties and it worked perfectly for the room.

It was the last breakout session of the last day of the conference, and honestly I would have been happy to get 2 librarians dancing. But I had over 30 filter in plus some conference volunteers. We had a great time, and at the end, they gave me chocolate. So over all it was an excellent introduction to the world of presenting for me!

Thanks CYPD!

No comments:

Post a Comment