Monday, June 11, 2012

Local Promotion in the Library

I've been seeing some really interesting things around the blogosphere lately about how public libraries promote local artists. My favorite example of this was this post on librarian.net regarding Iowa City Public Library's Local Music Project. This seems to me like an awesome idea for promoting local musicians and I will be suggesting it to the higher-ups at my library. There has been a renewed push for programs that foster community ties. And what better way for the library to show it's support for the arts and the public than to connect the two through public music licensing?

I minored in film production and film studies in college and I'm personally acquainted with a lot of local film makers in my city. Note: this is a "Toot their horn, not my own" comment. I know that sounds dirty... but go with me on this one. I also work at the Central branch of a good-sized public library system, and Central has a special collection dedicated to city-county history. Ah, the plot thickens.

They accept books and films from artists who either are local, or published/filmed locally. I'm trying to get several of my friends to donate DVDs and print copies of their work to the library. I'm attempting to find out from the selectors, if they donate to the special collection, if it would enable them to donate to the circulating collection. Thus, they would hopefully be able to do some promotion through the library. I have visions of themed displays of local movies and books dancing through my head. But, that involves a little bit of coordination, so we'll see how things shake out. Local horror movies, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment