Thursday, June 7, 2012

I love bedlam in June... how about you?

Okay, I may have overextended myself this month...just a little.

My birthday is coming up, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it coincides with my city's annual LGBT pride festival/parade. Here I am thinking "Awesome! I've been out-of-town at Library School for two years. I haven't been able to go. Now it's on my birthday." Sweet! So I started making plans to go, which immediately conflicted with my partner J's grand plan to surprise me with an extravagant theme park vacation.

Number 1, I love J. So I felt bad that I had to turn him down. Because, hey, it is an awesome gesture! But I have not been able to go to this event that I love in years. Number 2, I am incredibly cheap. So the idea of anybody spending that kind of money to take me on a getaway, romantic or not, practically makes me break-out in hives.

And while he is the most supportive, wonderful man you will ever meet, J is also a straight man in the mid-west. So his perspective on the LGBT community is, in Obama-esque terms, evolving. I invited him to come, but told him I understood if he did not want to. He made work plans that will net him a good paycheck, but leave him out of most of the day's festivities. We compromised and he took the day before off so we can do romantic things, like go to a drive-in movie, and eat at my favorite Indian restaurant that is too spicy for his taste.

I also offered to work the booth that my library has setup at the pride festival. Mixing 2 things that I love. This will leave the friend that I offered a ride to, who has never attended before, alone with either my mother or friends that I'm meeting there for about 2 hours. But they are all adults, so let them figure it out, right?

Because J is the most wonderful man you will ever meet, I naturally decided to move in with him. This will be just a week after my birthday. So, a little over a week from today. I have not packed a thing. My sister is in the same boat. though. So I don't feel so bad. She is moving on my birthday, while my moving day falls on hers. Then, J's sister will be moving the week after. Fun with moving vans all month.

There is also a library booksale and a secondhand bookstore clearance extravaganza at the State Fairgrounds to look forward to. My moving month pocketbook tells me I should not even walk through the doors for either event. But my book lust is so rampant, that I am budgeting money and boxes for both.

Top that off with my quest to expand the hours I work at the library (shrinking my hours at my "pays the bills" job), and I'm losing hope of ever completing my summer reading list. I also have a minor medical proceedure scheduled somewhere in the middle that I am trying not to think about. But, c'est la vie. Life is too hectic for regrets right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment